Here

I am the Dog. I am the Troll. I am the Goat and the Snake. The prodigal son that never returned. The madman that never became a saint. The whore that never repented.
I sit under the bridge and I hear them overhead. Talking to each other, running, sometimes singing. At night they stumble, drunk with fun and spirits. And I half envy them. They have souls, they have lives, they are human.
I used to be human once. Many lives ago. How I hated it. I don't regret giving my humanity away. In fact, I don't think I can feel regret. Not because I believe there's nothing in my past I'd like to change. I just don't have the capacity for regret.
I like it here. Away from anyone and everything. I have my friends but they come only when I want them to. I catch my friends with a net or a trap. And when the old ones die or get eaten, I just catch myself some new ones. I like it here.
Above me, there's a leak. Drip, drip, drip. But I feel no pain. I feel no hunger. There's no sickness here. There's no health either. There's just me and my friends. And the leak from the ceiling. Drip, drip, drip.
I'm not afraid of death. I've died many times before. It's just a minor inconvenience. One can overcome all kinds of adversity when one has good friends. And I have an endless supply. I like it here.
There's no evolution here. No change. Even time stands still here. Here I can walk into the same river again and again. Here I am endless.
This is the world's sweet little center. Everything revolves around me. I am the blind piper at the center of existence. And my friends dance to my music. Oh, how they dance! I like it here.
I can hear and see, I can talk and sing, I can walk and dance. But I choose not to. Because here I can stand still. Here everything stops. Here, I can see so far ahead, I can stare at the back of my own head. Here, I can extend my arm and touch the quivering heart of the universe. Here, I can slowly eat mankind.
I can't leave here. Here is where I am. I will always be here, because I am here. I am this place and all it contains and surrounds. For now and ever, I am here and I don't regret it because: I like it here.

No comments: